What is an SEO Manager: SEO Manager Definition
An SEO Manager is someone who not only manages your company’s SEO, it’s someone who has the wit, knowledge, expertise, and ability to differentiate your brand amongst the competition within major search engines. This process helps you not only rank for a number of excellent, high user-intent search queries; it also aligns with your overall marketing goals. Read on to learn more about exactly what an SEO Manager is and why you should hire one if you don’t already have one on staff.
“What is My Purpose?”: SEO Manager Responsibilities
You may be wondering what exactly are the responsibilities of an SEO Manager if you choose to bring one on board to your company. Rest assured, they do indeed have a much stronger purpose than a butter-passing, mini-robot. The primary focus of an SEO Manager is to perform the following:
Perform On-Site SEO
- Reducing site speed through technical optimizations (server optimization, image optimization, utilizing a CDN, etc…)
- Producing well-written content with a strategic process behind said content
- Structuring content to best benefit users and search engines
- Structuring the site’s hierarchy to best appease users and search engines
- Interlinking content to produce quality link-juice flow throughout site
- Incorporating multimedia throughout content to increase engagement
- Writing fitting meta descriptions along with proper tagging of headers
- Keyword research from an analytical perspective, data-driven perspective, and user-intent perspective
- Adding relevant OBLs (outbound links) to signal to search engines you’ve properly researched and reviewed your content
- Sprinkling LSI (latent semantic indexing) keywords throughout to gather further amounts of traffic to your content
- Ensuring content is of suitable length (800+ words) as this indicates to search engines the content is typically of higher quality and increases ASD (average session duration)
- Add social sharing buttons throughout your content to best increase overall engagement form multiple, referral sources
Perform Off-Site SEO
- Backlink acquisition through outreach
- Post to social sharing sites to increase relevancy, sharing capability, and overall engagement through social signaling
Actually Doing SEO
Some SEO Managers simply want to oversee their underlings perform the work while they simply direct and instruct others what to do. This is not ideal as SEO is constantly evolving and it’s important to maintain your understanding of SEO as an SEO manager. This is why it’s vital to advocate for your current, or future SEO Manager to choose to participate in the day-to-day operations of your overall SEO strategy. This can include everything from producing content, to performing outreach for backlinks, to going through your site and implementing technical optimizations. Overall, it’s about maintaining the knowledge of SEO and being the best SEO Manager you can be at the end of the day.
What to Look for When Hiring an SEO Manager
If you’re seeking an SEO manager, you’ll most likely first encounter their resume writing skills when they submit their resume to you for consideration. This is a great opportunity to examine how they craft content and how they best present themselves in terms of a first impression opportunity. An excellent feature to have as a potential SEO Manager is not only great experience, but owning and operating their own website. When an SEO Manager has their own site and keeps it up to date with the best SEO standards, it indicates they care about the art and science which is search engine optimization. Now, this is not a “make or break” type of qualification, but it does indicate their willingness and commitment to always staying on top of SEO trends and it shows true ambition above everything else.
Choosing the Right Company for Your SEO
If you’re searching for an SEO Manager and you have yet to find one in the form of a single individual, contact us here at DASH-SEO. We’ll be happy to demonstrate how we can best improve your overall SEO performance and why working with an agency allows you to have the best of both worlds: equivalent or better performance of an in-house SEO manager and not having to worry about them completing the tasks at hand or spending costly amounts of money on things such as payroll tax, insurance, 401k contributions, etc… Let us be the light at the end of the tunnel of your search for an SEO Manager and we’ll be sure to have your site ranking for excellent, highly-profitable keywords in a relatively little amount of time. We look forward to hearing from you soon!